Job Title: NSA Project Manager
Location: Hargeisa, Somaliland
Management Responsibility: Project Officer, consultants
Reporting to: Somalia/land Country Director
- Somali/land Finance Officer
- Regional Security Manager
- Somalia/land Advisor
- Communications Manager
- Advocacy Coordinator
Salary range: USD 36,951 – USD 45,485 gross per year
Description of Somalia/land programme: Saferworld is an independent non-governmental organisation that works to prevent conflict and reduce violent conflict and promote cooperative approaches to security.
We work with civil society, governments and international organisations to encourage and support effective policies and practices through advocacy, research and policy development, and through supporting the development of local capacities and structures.
Saferworld has been working in Africa since 1997, with a primary focus upon East Africa and the Horn region. We have well-established programmes in Kenya, Uganda, Somalia, Sudan and South Sudan.
In addition, Saferworld supports regional and international conflict prevention and security processes. Saferworld’s headquarters are in London, with regional offices in Nairobi and Kampala, and country offices in Juba and Hargeisa.
Saferworld’s Strategy 2017-2020 for Somalia/land has three core components.
- Enabling state building, governance and democratisation processes that are participatory, inclusive and accountable at state and federal levels
- Supporting the provision and implementation of security and justice services that are predicated on the principles of fairness and are accountable, accessible and responsive to the communities they serve
- Influencing the role of external actors to enable participatory, inclusive and accountable governance at state and federal levels.
Job Purpose: The primary purpose of this job is to provide overall oversight of the Non-State Actors Programme, which Saferworld has been supporting since 2008.
Saferworld is currently supporting three NSA platforms (NSAPs) in Somaliland, Puntland and South Central Somalia. Each NSAP consists of an elected Board of Directors, a salaried Secretariat and an extensive membership of local non-state actors.
The NSAPs are actively engaged in policy dialogue to both local authorities and the international community on key peacebuilding, statebuilding and security issues relevant to their local contexts.
After the current project concludes, the NSAPs will move to direct project funding from donors, and Saferworld will become a programme partner and advisor to the NSAPs, rather than an intermediary funder.
As such, the focus of the project at this stage will be on improving the NSAPs’ capacities with regard to donor relations and proposal development.
Key areas of responsibility
Programme planning, development and quality
- Contribute to the Somalia/land Programme’s annual and quarterly planning processes
- Ensure the project maximises potential policy change on key peacebuilding, statebuilding and security issues in Somalia/land
- Effectively build partner capacity with regard to proposal development and donor relations, so that they are enabled to fully support themselves with direct donor funding after the project concludes.
- Effectively build partner capacity with regard to monitoring, evaluation and learning (MEL) techniques so that they are effectively able to develop log frames, plan and execute MEL within this and future projects.
- Effectively build partner capacity on grant management tools and mechanisms alongside multiple grant financial management systems, working with the Somalia Finance Officer to do so.
- Provide guidance to the platforms on project implementation and advocacy approaches.
Programme monitoring, evaluation and learning
- Ensure timely and high quality donor and internal reporting that effectively captures programme impact and contributes to institutional learning
- Develop and lead the implementation of a monitoring, evaluation and learning framework for the project
- Effective line management of and support to the Project Officer and technical consultants/advisors
- Ensure that an effective programme management system is being implemented for all staff in the programme
- Ensure development and implementation of learning and development plans for relevant staff
- Ensure organisational safety, well-being and security protocols and duty of care standards are upheld
Finance and grants management
- Overall responsibility for financial management of the programme, including monitoring partner transfers and Saferworld direct expenditures
- Ensure that NSA partner staff understand and apply financial management and control policies and work to deliver project targets within their agreed budgets
- Ensure compliance with donors’ conditions and that financial risks are minimized and/or eliminated.
Internal and external relationships
- Raise awareness of Saferworld’s programme and partners among the international community and maintain a good working relationship and communication with all members of the Somalia programme team, Nairobi and Hargeisa Offices, and headquarters colleagues.
- Liaise with relevant Somalia government officials
- Report regularly to the European Commission in Nairobi.
Support for Somalia Team
- Contribute to team-wide processes and activities, including annual planning, outcome harvesting and team building.
- As needed, support and engage in the Somalia programme’s outreach to donors, programme development, advocacy and coordination with other actors in Kenya and Somalia.
- Bachelor’s degree (master’s degree an added advantage) in peace/conflict studies, development, international relations or related field, or equivalent professional experience
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience working in international development, peacebuilding or related issues.
- Experience and demonstrated skills in fundraising, donor relations, and proposal and budget development
- Experience and demonstrated skills in project management
- Experience and demonstrated skills in monitoring evaluation and learning.
- Experience of working in sensitive political settings and situations affected by conflict and fragility, and evidence of good judgment
- Ability to work in a non-partisan manner, and sensitivity to ethnic and cultural differences
- A team player, able to demonstrate a constructive, cooperative and problem-solving approach
- Willingness to travel frequently within the Somali region, including within South Central Somalia (security permitting)
- Good written and spoken English
- Ability to work without close daily supervision, using own initiative and showing flexibility
- A flexible and dynamic approach to work.
- Experience of supporting civil society/NSA engagement with state and international actors
- Understanding of Somali political and cultural dynamics
- Knowledge of key issues relevant to Somalia/land, including democratisation, development, state-building, security sector reform, peace and conflict theory, aid effectiveness
- Experience drafting high quality reports on issues of conflict and peacebuilding
- Written and spoken Somali language skills
- High level of professionalism and discretion
- Awareness of information security protocols and their application.
Terms & Conditions
- Probation: There will be a probationary period of three months
- Location: Hargeisa, Somaliland
- Salary range: USD 36,951 – USD 45,485 gross per year
- Annual Leave: 28 days per year in addition to public holidays
- Contract length: Open subject to continuation of funding
- Hours: Standard working week is 37.5 hours a week. However, the demands of the job are likely to be such that a willingness to work longer hours, as required, will be necessary.
Please complete an application form and send to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please use subject heading – Ref: PM-NSAP
Deadline for applications: 11th June 2017
The post Saferworld NSA Project Manager Job in Hargeisa, Somaliland appeared first on JSEP KENYA.