Job Title: Africa Fundraiser and Programme Design Coordinator
Location: Uganda or Kenya
Reporting to: Africa Funding and Programme Design Manager
Key relationships: Regional Programmes teams – Head of region and country staff; Funding team; HR / Operations team; Finance team; Policy, Advocacy and Communications team; Organisational Development Unit (ODU).
Salary range: A competitive INGO salary will be offered
Description of Saferworld and the Funding team: Saferworld is an independent non-governmental organisation that works to prevent violent conflict and build safer lives.
We work with civil society, governments and international organisations to encourage and support effective policies and practices through advocacy, research and policy development, and through supporting the actions of others.
We work on or in 18 countries and territories including East Africa, South and South East Asia, China, Central Asia, the Caucasus and the Middle East.
We receive funding from a range of donors, including numerous governments, the European Commission, charitable trusts and individuals.
The Funding team is responsible for managing fundraising activities across the organisation, including supporting on applying for funding and managing grants, to the overall value in excess of £15 million.
The Africa Fundraiser and Programme Development Coordinator will work directly with the Head of Africa, Country Heads, programme staff, the funding team and the Head of Funding, to support in raising funds and managing grants for Saferworld’s work in Africa.
To fulfil the job description effectively, Saferworld is looking for someone with experience of developing programmes with country teams/partners in response to funding opportunities, writing/coordinating statutory proposals, such as EU or DfID, keeping track and identifying funding opportunities, and managing grants to ensure contract compliance.
Ideally the candidate will have experience of producing competitive tendering applications.
The post holder will:
- support the development of programme proposals in coordination with teams and in response to funding opportunities
- identify funding opportunities
- facilitate and coordinate the internal funding process, including supporting with writing applications and tenders, producing budgets and supporting producing logframes
- with their programme colleagues, support in engaging with funders
- support in managing donor relationships and grant requirements
- support programme colleagues in the production of country-specific fundraising strategies
This post will contribute to the implementation of Saferworld’s fundraising strategy.
Roles and Responsibilities:
In coordination with the line manager and other relevant Saferworld departments:
- On-going engagement with programme teams to identify funding needs and future programme plans in response to funding opportunities.
- Support the programme teams in funding programme work, including developing programme design and content, supporting the development of MEL frameworks, and producing budgets.
- Work with programme teams and other colleagues across the organisation, including the Finance Team, to coordinate high quality funding proposals, ensuring that donor requirements and guidelines are understood and met.
- Research the priorities of new and existing donors, and working with programme colleagues to cultivate relationships with donors, and keep up-to-date with funding trends and opportunities from institutions, governments, trusts and foundations.
- Keep programme teams informed about funding opportunities and donor engagement.
- Maintain an accurate database of current and prospective donors, funding applications and their outcomes.
- Support in the development of country-specific funding strategies.
- Manage the reporting process on a portfolio of grants relating to regional programmes.
- Manage donor relations for existing and new grants, including negotiating grant contracts as required and ensuring contractual compliance –this involves ensuring relevant teams know about their roles and responsibilities as well as deadlines.
- Support programme teams and work with the Finance Team to prepare timely and accurate narrative and financial reports in line with contractual requirements.
- Ensure the funding database is kept up to date and all records of contracts and reports are accessible.
- Chase income payments and coordinate effective coding of restricted income.
- Support the effective monitoring and evaluation of grants.
- Contribute to the organisational process for effective monitoring and evaluation, working closely with ODU and in alignment with our organisational methodologies.
- Develop the skills and understanding of programme staff as required on fundraising and grant management skills.
- Work closely with the Country teams and the Communications team to raise the awareness of our work among key donors (and ensure fundraising information is kept up to date on the website).
- Take part in regional team meetings (held by Skype) at which the Coordinator will provide a funding pipeline update.
The successful candidate will need:
- A Bachelor’s degree or relevant experience in the third sector
- A proven track record of developing successful funding proposals, including applications to institutional donors, for six-figure amounts
- Knowledge of international funding trends and Saferworld’s key donor priorities and strategies
- Excellent writing skills
- Ability to plan and work within agreed timeframes
- Ability to demonstrate initiative and work well under pressure
- Ability to understand and generate budgets
- Experience of grant management, including producing reports
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and ability to work with staff based in different countries and time zones
- Thematic knowledge of security and justice, governance, gender or conflict transformation
- Experience of competitive tendering
- Programme Design experience
Terms and Conditions
- Probation: There will be a probationary period of the three months
- Holidays: 28 days holiday a year in addition to relevant public holidays
- Salary range: a competitive INGO salary will be offered
- Hours: The standard working week is 37.5 hours.
To apply please fill in an application form a copy of which can be found at www.saferworld.org.uk/about/jobs and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please state, AFPD in the subject line.
Please do not send your CV as this will not be accepted in place of, or in addition to, a completed application form
Deadline for applications: 13 June 2017
We regret only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
The post Saferworld Africa Fundraiser and Programme Design Coordinator appeared first on JSEP KENYA.