Oct 24, 2016
Kenya Information Technology Officer
Organisation Background: GiveDirectly is driving a re-evaluation of the assumptions underlying international philanthropy with a provocative model: we deliver donations directly to the extreme poor and let them decide what to do with them.
This approach builds on two converging trends: the rapid spread of electronic last-mile payments solutions in the emerging markets, and the large body of experimental evidence showing that direct transfers are as or more cost-effective at reducing poverty than more traditional, top-down approaches.
GiveDirectly’s field operations utilize state-of-the-art technology and business processes to deliver transfers securely, efficiently, and transparently.
Our unorthodox approach – allowing the poor, and not the donor, to choose where they invest – has prompted debate in the popular press and among policy makers.
GiveDirectly has been featured on NPR’s This American Lifeand in Foreign Affairs, The Economist, and The New York Times.
It was named one of the Top 10 Most Innovative Companies in Finance by FastCompany, one of the 25 Most Audacious Companies by Inc., and one of GiveWell’s top-rated charities for 4 years running.
Role Overview: The Information Technology Officer (ITO) will support GiveDirectly operations by maintaining the computer systems and networks of the organisation.
The ITO will install software and configure computer systems, set up new devices including data collection phones, diagnose hardware and software faults and solve technical and applications problems, either over the phone or in person.
The ITO will also be required to generate report and rosters in support of field operations.
The position will reward strong technical skills, attention to detail, and effective communication with staff.
The role will report to both the Office Administrator and the Field Manager.
IT Systems Management
- Configure and deploy new equipment, including laptops, smartphones and peripheral equipment;
- Install, troubleshoot, repair, update and maintain workstations and laptops and peripheral equipment;
- Install, maintain, and troubleshoot printers/copiers as well as manage toner requests;
- Setup and support audio/visual equipment for presentations and trainings on and off site;
- Install and configure peripherals including scanners, external drives, monitors and other peripheral hardware;
- Recommend the procurement of, and if approved, help procure replacement or specialist components, fixtures or fittings
- Removal/disposal of non-functional equipment as approved by the Office Administrator;
- Take staff through a series of actions, either face-to-face or over the telephone, to help set up systems or resolve issues;
- Install, maintain, troubleshoot, and update operating systems and user applications; recommend replacements as required;
- Proactively schedule software upgrades and patching;
- Make sure that all software on GiveDirectly equipment is licensed and keep record of licenses;
- Track license and support contracts to include notification of renewal timeframe to management;
- Ensure office internet is always running smoothly
- Test and evaluate new technology; provide support, including procedural documentation and relevant reports as necessary;
- Participation in research and recommendation of improved infrastructure processes and technologies to include growth planning;
- Provide procurement assistance including, but not limited to, researching solutions, engaging with potential vendors, making recommendations for product purchases and evaluating bids as directed by the Office Administrator;
- Work with ISP and other outside vendors to ensure dependable operations;
- Test new equipment and applications and provide recommendations as needed;
- Assess user IT capacity and suggest areas for training; create materials and presentations for trainings;
- Propose, and if approved, codify new policies for training, technical and ICT infrastructure and train new and current employees on the same;
- Assess user capacity and suggest trainings and areas in need of improvement;
- Assist the Field Manager with the development, testing and implementation of new survey elements or protocols.
- Responsible for Saturday Work polls and liaising with the HR Manager and Finance Manager to have that incorporated into payroll.
- Work with AFMs to collate all data related issues and work with Data Management team to get these solved.
- Produce enrollment and follow-up rosters for the field teams on agreed upon schedule
- Create monthly reports on GiveDirectly operations for government and compliance purposes
- Minimum of Diploma or Degree in a technical field.
- Technical aptitude and basic understanding of internet technologies and operating / hardware systems
- Demonstrated track record managing similar responsibilities at a competitive organization for minimum of one year.
- Fluency in English; excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strong interest in shaping the organization, including through revamping of current structures/processes
- Demonstrated ability to work in a highly independent and self-directed manner, while effectively communicating about gaps and risks
- Strong analytical and technical skills, including a high level of proficiency with Microsoft Excel
How to Apply
CLICK HERE to apply online
The post GiveDirectly Information Technology Officer NGO Job in Kisumu, Kenya appeared first on JSEP KENYA.